Thursday, July 5, 2007

I've Out Grown That!

The first sign that Henry was growing up came a few months back when he informed me
that he would no longer wear pajamas adorned with Disney characters, but instead, would I please buy him some white t-shirts and athletic shorts like the ones his father wears to bed. O.K. that was no problem.

Then, the last few weeks when I've gone to the allergist to get my shot, he kindly told the receptionist "no" when she offered him a sticker, "I've outgrown stickers, I'm turning 6."

Then, at a social gathering when all the children were getting Zoopal plates to put their food on, Henry kindly told the hostess that he had "out grown" those plates and would like a big person's plate. Apparently, Henry is done with any sort of cartoon like character- that makes me a little sad.

He then asked me to get him a subscription to the Wall Street Journal.

My cute little boy is growing up and he is making sure everyone is aware of it. While out shopping on the days building up to his birthday, he told every clerk we came across that he was turning 6. He told the people who were fortunate enough to stand next to us in line, and he even told people who happened to call the house. (He really likes to answer the phone these days, but I wish I could teach him how to discriminate against telemarketers.)



This past Friday he turned six-years old. At the last minute we threw together a birthday party when we found out his soccer camp was canceled for the rest of the week. (Yes, it is still raining in Dallas.) I asked him what he wanted to do and he just wanted a few friends over to play his new Game Cube. That sounded more like a normal everyday play date, so the party then evolved in to a Star Wars Jedi Training Camp, where Game Cube was one of the training experiences. I was very happy with how the party turned out. I had a lot of fun creating the Jedi Training experiences. Some of my favorites were "Jedi Blaster Training," which involved a flip on the couch followed by a dart gun shot at Darth Vader. We also played "Jedi Bowling"- a new creative way to use light sabers with considerably less crying.

The highlight of Henry's day was playing Lego Star Wars on his new Game Cube with his older friends Cale and Grant.



Happy Birthday Henry! We are proud of all you've done this past year with soccer, school, and being a great big brother! You sure are a special part of our family and we love your "infectious smile."

Henry has grown six inches since last year and is also a whopping 50 pounds. (I'm glad there are no regular reports on my weight on this blog, but apparently I need to start reporting on Adam's weight because Greg is calling him "Fat Boy" at work.)

3 comments:

Mk said...

I have grown 37 inches this year and weigh 450 pounds so...

-Penelope

Annie said...

They grow up so fast. I remember the first day when I say Henry; I went over to the Darowski's house, walked down those narrow stairs, through the dark hallway, into the small room you guys lived in and I saw his bright eyes and bright smile. He light up the room even as a small baby!

vickstergram said...

Watch for big "H" secretly attempting to shave. Look for an electric razor hidden under his bed. Make sure he isn't making any phone calls to older women who look alot like Natalie Portman and, most importantly, look under his mattress for magazines like Business Weekly; US News and World Report and last but not least, GQ Magazine.