Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I just want money...


So, potty training Caroline has been a real treat. And we have literally tried to reinforce her successes with every type of treat a three-year-old would love, in every shade of pink imaginable. Still, she is having issues. First, it was coming out at inappropriate times. Now, it is not coming out at all. It took two Nurse Practitioners, myself, and about 30 minutes to try and coax her into giving the Dr. a urine sample. Yeah, right. That didn't work. It's all on Caroline's schedule. (No comments from those of you who potty trained your children in one day.) Now, Caroline is on a regimen of "Milk of Magnesia," hopefully that will help her decide to go to the bathroom.

Today, when I was trying to get her to use the bathroom before we sped out the door to swimming lessons, I hastily offered her a treat if she would please just go. (I've already dealt with a swimming suit accident- it wasn't fun, thanks for helping with that MK.)

"Caroline, I'll let you have a treat if you go to the bathroom." With a devious smile on her face she looked at me and said,"Mom, I just want money..."

I just don't feel right about paying my children to go to the bathroom. This is blackmail by a three-year-old. Ironically, later that day, I walked in on Caroline yelling, "that's not money!" as Henry waved a dollar bill in her face. To Caroline, the concept of money is restricted to the various shaped coins she has collected in her Dora backpack, the small pockets of her shorts, and in her "My Little Pony" Easter basket, not to mention what she has taken out of Henry's piggy bank. Got to love Caroline.

6 comments:

vickstergram said...

Has Caroline been grooving out on Beatles' music lately? I mean isn't there a song they sing that said something to the effect of : ". . .just give me money, yeah, that's what I want. . .", or perhaps she just heard me muttering that in my sleep as I slept over at your house. (But I'm sure I meant big green bills, not the small change.) Anyway, she is one smart cookie and seems to have the upper hand in the "potty power struggle". Good Luck with this one but don't worry, she'll do it when she is good and ready or when she embarrases herself in front of her friends--hopefully at the rather young age of three and one month and not at sweet sixteen--(we really don't want to go there.)

Annie said...

Money, money, money, MMMOOONNNEEEYYY!!!! Love that song. This potty-money issue reminds me how in Europe you need to pay to go to the bathroom. Since you are responsible for your underage child, it is kind of like you are paying for your child to use the restroom. Well, it is late.

Mk said...

Laurel, you are welcome to ALL the spare change in my car's ash tray...i am always happy to donate to a good cause.

Unknown said...

Hilarious!

Kaiya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaiya said...

(...sorry, I forgot a comma in the last post)

Here's a tip from Craig:
"All it took for me, was pooping in the tub. I remember thinking the poopie was chasing me around the tub, and then I remember screaming for my mom to come rescue me from the poopie. That was the day I decided I really didn't mind using the toilet."

(p.s. Megan and Craig are registered for a padded toilet seat at Target.)