Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My Birthday

First of all, I want to thank Adam for his guest post. I do have to say he is a great dad and a great husband. For my birthday he treated me like a queen. Here are just a few things that he did that made the day so nice: First, the evening before my birthday he took the kids out to buy me a present. They couldn't contain themselves and they had to give it to me as soon as they got back. It was entirely Henry and Caroline's idea. And I love it--they gave me some Crocs. I haven't really seen a lot of moms wear Crocs, but now when you see me this summer I will stand out and look really cool. Caroline has pink Crocs and Henry has camo Crocs. The two of them think Crocs are the coolest thing ever. I'm glad they wanted to share them with me. Then the morning of my birthday Adam made sure the entire house was clean, had laid out the children's clothes the night before, and even went out and bought Krispy Kreme donuts for breakfast!!!! It was so great not to have to do any of those things on my birthday. Finally, to top it all off, that evening we hired a sitter and Adam took Mantha and I out for a night on the town. It was nice to go out on a date with my husband considering we have a new born and haven't been out too much.

My dear friends also treated me like a queen on my birthday. During the day I was able to drop Samantha off at a babysitter and go to the Dallas Temple with my friend Rebecca. (Henry & Caroline were at Jungle Safari Camp at Henry's preschool.) After the temple, Rebecca and Christine threw a little party for me at Rebecca's house. Christine brought yummy take-out from Cafe Express, the kids played and ate pizza, and Rebecca bought me a coconut cream pie (my favorite). It was just nice to relax and visit. My life here in Texas would not be the same without these two women. Christine was the first real friend I made when we moved here and Rebecca keeps me laughing during the day to day rigors of life (like the time Rebecca stopped at my house unexpectedly in her new gorilla Halloween costume.) Below is a picture of me with Rebecca on the left and Christine on the right.

Here I am blowing out my candle- thirty one is a lot of candles, so for safety concerns we only put in one candle.


Here is a picture of my favorite girls- Caroline, Lauren (Rebecca's daughter), Maddie (Christine's daughter) and baby Mantha. It's fun to watch these sweet girls hug, maul, and cuddle Samantha.
And to top all that- it was so sweet to get the little notes, emails, and phone calls from so many of my friends. It's nice to know that the friends I have made during the different stages of these past 31 years still think about me and take the time to keep in touch- it means a lot- life long friends, that's what I'd call them. I wouldn't be the same without them.

My birthday was one of the best ever. Here are some sentiments my friend Brooke (whom I've been friends with for over 18 years) sent me that I think really captures the stage of life I'm going through. Brooke wrote, "I hope you are savoring every moment of this alphabet-singing, laundry-filled, sleep-deprived season of our lives." Well, I must end this blog- it's time to fold the laundry.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Happy Birthday!! To celebrate your special day I was able to go to dinner with the Asay's before they leave on their mission. Natalie was there too! We ate cake in memory of you as well. Way to turn 31!

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

Happy 31st!!! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. You derserve it. And what fun friends you have. Wish we were there.

Unknown said...

3 of the cutest women I know! Looks like you had a great day! I want that cake pedestal, I have been looking for one like that! Is that yours or Rebecca's. Love it!
Loves, J

Mk said...

Happy 31st! I'll eat some cake in your honor...

vickstergram said...

Dear Laurel, You know when I secretly told you that you were Kelly Clarson's half sis...? Well the thing is that makes your B-day not actually on 6/19/76 but rather on 2/13/74. That actually makes me a child bride of a doomed marriage--you true father went out every night to sing in karioke clubs...maybe that's a clue to where Ms. Clarkson got her talent. . .anyway this shocking news actually makes you 33 instead of 31. Well, nobody need know except you and me and Ryan Seacrest (who may do a special on this incredible story of, shall we say, "tall tales from the Vick".