Monday, December 17, 2007

We all knew it was coming.....


Caroline's first attempt at cutting her own hair. She pretty much cut off her "piggy" (as she calls it) and made herself some nice heavy bangs. Then she took a chunk out from behind her ear. Luckily, my friend Melissa (a fabulous hairdresser) was able to help me in the time of crisis. We took a good two inches off the back and cropped it a bit- we will have to wait for the chunk to grow back in. Hopefully it won't be too noticeable. There wasn't much we could do with the bangs except angle them and pull some back. Her final look is in the corner. It breaks my heart. We worked so hard to grow out her bangs, but every little girl has a picture in their scrapbook that immortalizes their 1st attempt as a beautician. (I think I actually cut my Sister Katie's hair.) For what it is worth, Caroline cut her bangs pretty straight- at least she wasn't cutting Samantha's hair. (It was my fault for leaving scissors on the dinning room table. I was helping Henry with a project this morning.)
We will miss the "Old Caroline." The "New Caroline" will be with us for the next 3-6 months. It's a good thing we already took the family pictures. Never a dull moment.

12 comments:

Meglet said...

For some reason I thought she already did it. Seriously, this comes as no surprise, just more raw entertainment from the Dallas D's.

Unknown said...

Oh Laurel- I feel your pain! Grace has cut her hair (pretty badly) on three separate occasions, promising to NOT do it again each time after my tears. She forgets though and it has become a yearly occurrence. This past summer she got the urge and cut off half her bangs (which I was trying to grow out) right at the root. Luckily she did it AFTER my little sister's wedding or there would have been H*** to pay. On the bright side- Caroline is still looks cute and sassy. Oh, and I wonder where she gets the sassy from my friend?

vickstergram said...

Well, what goes around comes around as the old saying goes. You became a very young hairstylist when you cut Katie's hair, (and she was such a good sister to even let you). As for Megan, I believe that she originated the first truly punk haircut in Utah. Just why are scissors so tempting anyway? I have a hunch that they would have been included somehow in the 10 Commandments but there just wasn't any more room. It's like when some little or not so little person pulls a fire alarm just because it's there. These temptations, they can sure make it tough on a person. Maybe you could enlighten us more upon that subject, but then again, I'd never want to rat you out, promise.

rvasay said...

Laurel,
Just a couple of weeks ago Greta, Matt and Jenny's little girl cut her sister Lilly's hair. the problem was that Lilly already had really short hair. There was nothing to be done! They sent me a picture and it truly was awful. Matt was babysitting at the time. Natalie also did a haircutting job on her friend and herself when she was 3 1/2. Sorry but you did know it was coming! She still looks cute though. Love from your Argentina
readers

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

I think she looks adorable! Rylee found some scissors one time and cut Sophie's hair instead of her own. Funny, huh? I just had to be grateful that no one got hurt. Hey, Chad and I want to send ya'll a Christmas card and I need your address. If you want to just e-mail it to me, that would be awesome. Thanks. My e-mail address is kristinbwithers@gmail.com
Talk to you soon.

Emily said...

Oh that sucks! Emma cut herself bangs when she was two, the funny thing about it was she did a great job, I couldn't even get mad at her because they looked so cute. I was half tempted to have her trim mine, then I remembered she was only 2.

Julie said...

that is so sad. of course, Miss Caroline still looks so so cute. good job Melissa!

Lauren said...

She still looks adorable Laurel! That cute thing! I feel your pain though. About two years ago, Julia gave Liliana her first haircut ever (to the scalp in a couple places)! Yikes! I cried! Thank goodness Christine helped even her up. :)

megship said...

Laurel, you should feel like a horrible mother, I cannot beleive you allowed this to happen. You should watch your kids a little more closely. I would never allow for anything like this to happen to my precious offspring.....j/k. You are lucky she is dang cute even with crazy hair!

Mary said...

I love Caroline!

critts said...

She looks fabulous! I think you definitely have a future hair stylist on your hands...

Mk said...

bangs are in- Caroline is knows what's happing now. Try and keep up.
PS Tay and Audrey cut their hair a few weeks ago too. Your kids have succombed to their peer pressure i guess