Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Just to Clarify...

I'm in a little bit of trouble. Recently I recommended the movie Juno. To me it was utterly entertaining, it was cleverly written, the characters were endearing and it was unpredictable.

That being said - it was a bit crude, especially in the beginning. The movie deals with a teen pregnancy, so the context leads to a little crudity. Adam and I felt a little uncomfortable, but the movie had so much more to offer that the crudity was easy to overlook. I've already seen it twice and I would see it again.

It is rated PG-13, would I take a teenager to it? Definitely not. Would I take my former ecclesiastical leader to it and his family, including his 80 year-old mother? Definitely not. (Feel sorry for my sister Annie.)

Who is this movie for? Mature audiences- maybe 30 plus years. A bunch of girl friends perhaps. Someone who likes independent films and gets bored with the big Hollywood formulaic movie.

I can't say enough about the great writing, the story elements, the fun characters, and the magnificent acting of Ellen Page. It made me laugh and cry. Adam loved it too, but we are a little different, so this movie may not be for everyone.

I still give it 4 stars.

I will now retire as a movie critic.

Merry Christmas!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

We have a Clearplay DVD player (have you heard of those? they're great!) so I will wait for it to come out on video and watch it on Clearplay so I can skip the crude parts- I'd probably be okay with them but I know my husband would be squirming. He's okay with blood and guts everywhere and even handles the F-word just fine (both of which I abhor) but a little sexuality sends him out the door. Thanks for the clarificaton!

Katy said...

Lets go to the movies together - I think we have similar tastes!

vickstergram said...

Laurel, FYI, that eighty year old lady that you are referring to is only in her sixties and is quite good natured. Anyway, I know that the movie trailers made a lot of people curious and want to go to that movie. This includes some of the people in that particular group of attendees. Anyway, it's water under the bridge now so don't worry. As you may well know I had a similar experience when I recommended "A Room With A View" to our good friends. I never did hear the last of that one. And I would see again when the opportunity presents it's self.

Unknown said...

Yikes..I felt you were spot on with your advice, I was adequately prepared...then I again I am the one that manages to choose the racy book club selections! :)

Gooches said...

funny because i just told my friends and family that my cousin laurel really liked the movie (really i did!)! hee hee! everyone needs a little waking up here and there! we love those kind of movies!

Gooches said...

funny because i just told my friends and family that my cousin laurel really liked the movie (really i did!)! hee hee! everyone needs a little waking up here and there! we love those kind of movies!

Dallan said...

Bethany and I were curious about Juno after reading your blog so we saw it and LOVED it. Definitely made our top ten list. We did feel a little guilty though because several people walked out of the theater in the first 10 minutes (we were in Orem).

Katy said...

Just saw it - loved it!

rvasay said...

Laurel,
The Argentina readers of your blog are tired of this entry since we do not go to movies-----we want to see pictures of Adam's Mustachless face!
Sincerely your friends in Argentina

critts said...

I still can't wait to see it!

Julianna said...

I'm sure I will love it. Diablo Cody (the screenwriter) was actually a member of a website I'm on. She was really cool.

stacia said...

LOVED this movie! i'll take your recommendations anytime.

Meglet said...

Craig and I finally saw it last weekend - loved it, loved it, loved it!! Now I listen to the soundtrack everyday. Definitely not for every viewer, but when you're laughing and crying in the very same scene, it's difficult to hate the movie.
I know that a portion of our enjoyment roots from a previous love for "Arrested Development," especially when I keep saying, " I love John Michael," and Craig has to keep saying, "You mean Michael Cera."