Sunday, September 16, 2007

My Son the Exhibitionsit

Yesterday was a lovely day for soccer. Henry's team, the Dinosaurs, played their second game of the season. The game was at 10:15, so Adam had to start the pre-game ritual at 8:30. Their ritual involves laying out Henry's uniform and suiting him up to the song "Iron Man," doing a warm up in the back yard, and watching some highlights from the English Premier League.

As we were getting in the car to head to the game Adam expressed some distress that Henry wasn't really into his warm-up this morning. He's only 6, I thought to myself, we shouldn't put too much pressure on him. (But, Adam is reliving his childhood through Henry so I didn't say anything.)

Anyway, in the third quarter the game was tied 1-1. Henry was in front of the goal and shot the ball, the goal keeper caught it, but rolled into the goal. Score for the Dinosaurs!

Henry ran from the goal and did two consecutive front flip/somersaults as he made his way back to the midfield. The parents were laughing and cheering. I was slightly embarrassed that my son was so celebratory.

I asked Adam about this, and he said he did not tell Henry to do it, but Henry must have learned it from watching the famous goal-scoring celebration of a current Manchester United player, named "Nani". Henry's somersaults looked something like this.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hilarious...um perhaps he should join Kim Zmeskals crew @ Everybody Fits.

Mk said...

Henry is so cool.

Durham said...

I love Henry!

vickstergram said...

I do believe that Annie did a sommersault once when she scored a goal, but this was the "boda-boda boom"! I'm sure that he gets most of his exhibitionism from his mom, however. (We won't go into and embarrassing details, but believe me, this entire family can be the most entertaining family in Texas).

Natalie Scott said...

Dude, Adam cracks me up! You're a good wife and mommy to let the boys have their fun :o)

Mary said...

Henry is my hero! PS. I love the Sound of Music!