Sunday, October 14, 2007

Who is Iron Man?



>Guest Blogger: Joseph Darowski*

So as I was perusing the Darowski Family Blog I noted the question "Who is 'Iron Man' and what is my husband teaching Henry?" and figured I would go ahead and offer some insight (I also noticed the section about Karate Kid, and I've had a few recent conversations about that film, and specifically the "Put him in a body bag" moment (I note the arched eyebrows as key to making it hilarious)).

Iron Man is a comic book character featured in the Marvel universe of comics (Spider-Man, the X-Men, Captain America...). He was created by Stan Lee (who also created Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, The X-Men, and many other characters) in 1963. Iron Man is really billionaire industrialist Tony Stark. His family made their fortune designing weapons. Tony Stark has no super-powers, but wears a suit of armor. Stan Lee was trying to make a member of the military-industrial complex, which was quite unpopular at the time, into a popular superhero, just to see if it could be done.

There is film version of Iron Man coming out next summer, with Robert Downey Jr. playing Tony Stark. The preview looks fantastic, and can be viewed at apple.com/trailers/ .

The Iron Man song Henry and Adam apparently listen to in order to get pumped up is not actually related to the comic book character, though it is used in the trailer for the movie (and is a good song to get pumped up to).

*Joseph Darowski is one of Adam's brothers. Joseph has a Masters Degree is English from BYU and is currently in a doctoral program (American Studies) at Michigan State University. Joseph wrote his masters thesis about comic book super heroes. You may read Joseph's masters thesis here: http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/ETD/image/etd1515.pdf


3 comments:

vickstergram said...

"Great Ceasar's Ghost!" That was quite an enlightiening explanation.We need positive role models in this day and age and frankly, studying up on these good vs. evil comic books is quite fascinating. I just don't see them around quite as much as when I was a kid back in the ice age. Thanks for the great explanation of the Iron Man and let's hope that our kids can be great role models for their children. And for Heaven's sakes stay away from the kryptonite. P.S., Maybe Adam's alter ego is really Ladam Larowski! And then again, maybe it isn't. Oh well, enough said.

rvasay said...

I have never heard of Iron Man.
Probably because he doesn't have
any special powers. I go for the
special powers myself. Laurel and
Adam you family is adorable and I
am happy that you are my friends!
The Vicky that
lives in Argentina

vickstergram said...

So glad to hear from south of the border(s)!I must use my e-mail to send you news. The other Vick. . . I just viewed the Iron Man trailer and got very excited to see the movie, though it was disappointing to hear that it isn't being released 'til next spring. I will say that the Iron Man song sounds like great soccer warm-up music! (I, myself, just might use it as a stimulant to clean out our garage.)