Monday, May 19, 2008

Raccoons and Hydrangeas




I just need to vent. Although I love living in my new house, there are two things that seem to repeatedly annoy me and both of them have to do with my back yard. First, every night around three in the morning there is a domestic disturbance between a couple of raccoons who live in the forest behind my house. It is not a pleasant noise to wake up to. It's like they are hissing at each other and screaming and it sounds like it is right next to my window. They need therapy or something. I just want to get a gun.

The second issue involves my dream of having beautiful hydrangeas to gaze upon when I look out my back windows. That dream seems to get shattered every 4-5 days. The first time it happened I was understanding. The second and third times were annoying and now I'm just ticked off. When my first hydrangea bloomed I was so excited and I couldn't wait to see what color it would turn out. Then next thing I knew, the long anticipated Hydrangea had been plucked. Caroline came up to me with it and said, "Look mom, I picked you a beautiful flower." I smiled and kindly explained that we shouldn't pick the flowers because we want them to last a long time so we can see them out our window. "But Mom, my teacher told us we should give our Mom flowers." (This was around Mother's day.)

So of course, I waited and waited for the next blooms. And just like that they were gone. Then Caroline tore the plant in half. Then this morning she picked another bloom off my second plant. (I taped the first plant back together, who knows the tape may just keep the stem intact- o.k. I'm not a plant surgeon, but it's worth a try.) I'm rambling- but I have one bloom left. One. I'll let you know how it makes out.

Who knows, the raccoons may just destroy it tonight.

15 comments:

Durham said...

Oh Hydrangeas! So pretty. Texas suburbs have some pretty crazy wildlife!!

vickstergram said...

Okay, so you take Caroline to the local nursery and let her pick out her very own plant. Tell her that it is the only one she can pick flowers from and that your Hydrangas need to stay on their plant to look their prettiest. As for the rotten racoons, set a flood light up on a post that will come on when they get their wildest. They are probably just mating. If that doesn't work, go find Old Dan and Little Ann, they will be sure to take care of the problem. PS, you can never have too many hydrangas! Plant some more.

rvasay said...

Laurel,
I too love hydrangas----I grew up with them in Oregon. I think Nerd mom
1 idea is very good---let Caroline have her own plant. I think the racoons are cute but they are pretty noisy. We had them in our yard in the canyon. It sounds like you have a
very exciting neighborhood!
Your Argentine Connection

Unknown said...

I have that same dream Laurel- but being the brown thumb that I am I know I will kill my hydrangea somehow. Nevertheless, I'm going to try!

Good luck on the raccoon thing- I hear they can be very pesky. Make sure to keep your garbage cans in the garage- they LOVE garbage.

Natalie Scott said...

Mmmm, we get some pretty exciting wildlife around here too. Don't you just love Texas??

Those flowers are beautiful! I have the same problem with my girls, particularly Evie, who likes to pick the "pretty flowers." I basically don't have any I'm too attached to so I don't get mad! It makes for pretty boring landscape though.

Unknown said...

Ahhh Darowski, may you be protected from the rabid monters lurking in your backyard! As I recall, Hopkin knows a thing or two regarding the "local" wildlife.

I adore Hydrangeas!

Sabine Berlin said...

Good Luck with the flowers! And the Racoons!

jdarowski said...

I have have had encounters with attack raccoons coming out of the dumpster here in Michigan. It's to the point that one of my greatest fears in life now is taking the trash out to our dumpster at night.

Mary said...

I love the pic of the raccoon with the hissing teeth. They can be pretty vicious and messy if there is a garbage left out.

We have lots of bunnies here. I thought they were cute at first, but they are around so much they are like rodents. I also hear they eat your veggies in the garden.

vickstergram said...

Just think, Adam could have been attacked when he was doing that illegale dumping in that apartment's dumpster! Just count your blessings Girl, your man likes to walk on the wild side.

Anonymous said...

Where is the new house?

- Paul

Dan said...

That forest over there is FULL of animals. Mary Kaye got a cage from animal control and in three days caught a raccoon, an armadillo and an opossum. We should start a zoo!

vickstergram said...

About Dan's comment concerning your wild and lively racoons: Is anyone in your family having an unusual thirst for water, have you all had rabies shots, is there any foaming at the mouth and lastly is there any violent, aggressive behavior going on in your family? If the answer is yes to any of the questions, contact your local health authorities. If the answer is yes for either you or Adam to the last question, perhaps a marriage counselor may come in handy. PS Just make sure she/he is innoculated. JK

Clint said...

aurel & Adam,

Congratulations on your new house! It is beautiful! I love the kitchen, especially the tiled backsplash. It looks great! We just moved out of our apt and into a new house, and have been sky high in boxes and paint projects. I know how you feel with the projects! We have tons of "before" pictures, but a lot of "after" pictures. 4th of July is my goal! And happy birthday to Samantha! She's getting so big! Her eyes are beautiful! The next time we're up in Dallas, we'll have to get her and Hayley together to play. I miss you guys! We will be sending out address updates shortly. If you are ever in Houston, please give us a call. We'd love to see you!

Linsey

vickstergram said...

Enough already!!! We all definitely need a blog update. It's like a mental drought. We need that added touch of Darowski wit, craziness, cleverness and all that kind of stuff...(even if its boring)! Bring it on!!!



















cleverness, charm