Sunday, July 13, 2008

The 4th of July (As remembered on July 12th)


This post is to remind everyone of the fun, fast paced, fabulous life we lead at the Darowski household. What else is a blog for any way, but making your life look like the American dream. Seriously, sometimes I have blog envy. I see blogs that cleverly portray the perfect life with all the wit and charm possible, and on top of that it's all tied up with a nice photoshop bow and set to a sound track. I think, wow, their life is so good, their husband is so nice, their kids so perfect, and those outfits- where did they get them? Oh, and that cool graphic, how did they do that? I want to do that - and then I'm overwhelmed. But then I remember, their life really isn't like that all the time. They can put what ever they want on their blog, and of course, they really only pick pictures they look cute in, right? And they only share their awesome adventures. And no one titles their latest blog entry, "Today we did the laundry and it was fabulous!" Pretty much we all have our highs and lows. Blogging is a fun way to see others personalities come through, to see families celebrate, and to have a little laugh once in a while. Blogs can sometimes be like the "Family Brag Letter" we all used to get in the mail at Christmas, you know the one you and your sisters sat around the table and chuckled over. So what is my point? I don't really remember.

Oh, the 4th of July weekend. Aunt Beth helped us make our traditional "Flag Cake." We enjoyed the local parade, played the Wii- and made celebrity Miis. Went to Hawaiin Falls, and I won't mention the swimsuit incident. Enjoyed time at Darowski Beach and riding the trolley in the big "D" after visiting the children's museum.

Having Joseph, Emily, and Beth in town reminded us of nice it is to have family. It made me wish that we lived a little closer to family, especially for the kids. Now I'm aggressively recruiting family members to move to Texas.

12 comments:

Emily said...

good point. there is a blog i read and the person is nothing like the person on the blog and in the comments i want to write FRAUD! on the other hand i read another one and all the person does is complain so where is the balance? and by the way your blog is one of those that depicts love. fun. and bliss. and... its set to a soundtrack and i have to stop rambling.
ps. yes, i did my cabinets myself and so i'm not bragging.

Emily said...

i meant no in that last line.

Julie said...

Laurel, you are so funny! I always find humor in your posts. By the way, did you ever solve your raccoon and/or hydrangea problems?

Bethany said...

I also love your blog and posts-and I would still read it if you wrote "I did the laundry today and it was fabulous!"
You posed the question, "What is the blog for?" May I suggest that it is for the exact purpose of telling us whatever swimsuit issue you had on the 4th of July.
Anyway, here's to you, to your delightful blog, to the 4th of July, to swimming suits and to Texas, which, dear Laurel's family, truly is FABULOUS!

Durham said...

I was talking about this "blog" issue with my sis-in-law just yesterday. I think it's kind of like a journal. You don't want your kids to be reading it after you die thinking, man mom sure had a lot of bad days! You want them to look back on all the fun times!!! I agree with what the first commenter said about fraudulent blogs. I know a few of those too, but what can you do? BLOG ON!!! By the way, I don't have photoshop and have no idea how to use it! Ha!

Natalie Scott said...

I've always loved how candid you are, Gooch. You are awesome.

Well at least I can rest easy knowing you're not talking about MY blog. No photoshop or soundtracks going on there. In fact, I even blogged about laundry once and posted a picture of my laundry room. There was nothing "fantastic" about it (on the contrary, it was really bad),but y'know, we like to keep it real here in the Scott household!

You guys look great, and I think I might just eat Manthers up the next time I see her. Is she a little clone of you or what? Such beautiful kids you have.

Mk said...

i only have envy for your blog...and the famous flag cake yummmm.
btw where did you get that outfit?

laura said...

funny, laurel. i always have blog envy when i read your blog. great posts, great photos. life looks nice in texas! maybe we'll move there.

Julianna said...

I agree with you about the blogging. I asked Craig last night to start blogging day-to-day life. I don't want our blog to be just the good, I want it to be a journal of our family. Everything is important to me, even if it's just a sentence.

Looks like you had a good 4th!

emily said...

Ok that just summed up the blog world in a nut shell. you should be a comedian!! I miss your humor! Loved the pics of the family and the 4th of July cake. My sister just moved to San Diego and it is heaven having family around. We have been recruiting for 3 years and it finally paid off. Emily OZ

vickstergram said...

I so love your "real life" blogs, you wouldn't want to have readers gag of a sugar overdose. It is comforting to people to realize that we all are human, and rather hilarious at times.

megship said...

I get really annoyed reading people's blogs that worship themselves the whole time. I actually prefer the complaining and day to day stuff, cause then I realize other people have non-eventful lives too. Your blog is pretty dang good and your kids are seriously cute! I get why Annie goes out there every fifteen minutes now.